As Vice President, Senior Counsel (“Senior Counsel”), you will play a key role in the continued growth of the company; support strategic initiatives; and advise department heads on an array of legal matters. The Senior Counsel provides legal advice, counsel, and guidance on the full range of legal areas of emphasis including, but not limited to, federal and state laws governing the provision of medical services and physician groups, and interpretation and implementation surrounding the Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law, and fraud and abuse, and Medicare and Medicaid program laws, regulations and guidance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage, direct, and conduct the legal negotiations relative to acquisitions, mergers, collaborations and affiliates, and other complex agreements, including individual and group physician practice acquisitions, physician/hospital joint ventures, and other provider affiliations;
- Provide advice on contractual matters, including strategic analysis of available alternatives and associated legal risks regarding value-based contracts, proposed partnerships, and joint ventures; particularly arrangements and transactions with health plans, health systems, and providers, including related regulatory issues such as the Anti-Kickback Statute, state prohibitions on the corporate practice of medicine, the Stark Law, and other state and federal health care regulatory requirements;
- Support Chief Legal Officer in corporate governance matters;
- Advise and help the Company to develop and maintain a compliant and effective strategy, policies and procedures and implementation relating to physician transactions and arrangements, health care transactions, joint venture partnerships, managed care contracting and/or general health care operations or regulatory matters;
- Provide advice and counsel in the development of policy and strategy to address a wide range of issues related to health care administration, management and operations;
- Proactively provide legal support and clear, pragmatic advice and support across all levels of management on a broad range of issues, including but not limited to employment matters, corporate governance, intellectual property, and compliance related issues;
- Manage outside legal counsel engaged by the company on matters requiring specialized knowledge or expertise.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school;
- Extensive knowledge of health care regulations and compliance, including Stark and Anti-Kickback, False Claims Act, corporate practice of medicine, licensure regulations, and other applicable laws and regulations;
- Transactional drafting and review experience, particularly focused on agreements related to joint ventures, provider financial arrangements, physician organizations, and physician recruitment and employment agreements;
- An active license in good standing to practice law in any state;
- Minimum of 5-10 years of law firm and/or in-house experience.
- Other experience working with physician groups and other health care provider types;
- Experience with health-reform related initiatives (such as ACOs, medical homes, bundled payment programs);
- Broad experience with a variety of legal matters, including health care, corporate, commercial contract negotiation, employment, compliance, privacy, corporate governance, and/or intellectual property; and
- Experience with independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Results-oriented, with a strong sense of urgency and good time- and people-management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously; and
- Ability to balance legal risk with business needs and convey legal advice clearly and effectively to non-legal co
- This job operates in a professional setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand for extended periods of time. Normal manual dexterity is required.
- Normal speaking and hearing abilities to interact with others in an office environment, over telephone or other video conferencing platform.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms and continuously repeat the same hand, arm finger motion many times as in typing.
Our priority is the health and safety of our members, colleagues, partners, and community. Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination is required for employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodations consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the company pursuant to applicable law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Somatus, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.