Our Mission is to Make Healthcare Right. Together. Built upon the belief that by connecting and aligning the best local resources in healthcare delivery with the financing of care, we can deliver a superior consumer experience, lower costs, and optimized clinical outcomes.
What drives our mission? The company values we live and breathe every day. We keep it simple: Be Brave. Be Brilliant. Be Accountable. Be Inclusive. Be Collaborative.
If you share our passion for changing healthcare so all people can live healthy, brighter lives – apply to join our team.
SCOPE OF ROLE
A Software Engineer is responsible for building the API and data models powering our virtual care platform. They work closely with members of the front-end Application, Product, and Integration teams during various phases of the development cycle. They also help the engineering team communicate about app functionality during team demos and as needed for the implementation and support teams. All of our software development teams work using the Scrum process with a two-week sprint cycle.
The Software Engineer job description is intended to point out major responsibilities within the role, but it is not limited to these items.
- Develop, document, test, and debug new and existing API endpoints, services, and data models for multiple Rails applications. Assist engineering leads with technical design on features as requested. Implement the functionality as designed, including automated tests.
- Participate in project technical design meetings as needed. Work with architects and product owners to understand and tweak requirements during the software development process.
- Create and maintain automated tests to ensure the platform is stable and to prevent issues from occurring.
- Perform code reviews of other engineers’ code. Learn from engineering colleagues to understand best practices for general software development, Rails development, and be exposed to new technologies.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent practical experience required.
- 2+ years of experience working on MVC-based web applications, demonstrating increasing skill in tackling technical challenges. A desire (and proven ability) to pick up new frameworks and concepts.
- Experience working on web applications
- Experience working with an RDBMS such as PostgreSQL and strong familiarity with relational database concepts.
- Have an understanding of our core technologies and frameworks, including Ruby, Rails, PostgreSQL, RSpec.. Continuously learn & develop skills in Object-oriented programming, Web technologies, caching, optimization, and others.
- Understanding of software development practices and concepts such as Object-oriented programming, Web application technologies, Web application security, and testing best practices. Have at least a general familiarity with determining the runtime & space complexity of algorithms.
- Capable of communicating technical concepts and ideas to other engineers and to non-engineering members of the team. Able to discuss application features & use cases with end users and customer contacts.
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment and work on a wide variety of tasks and projects
- Professional – unquestionable integrity, credibility and character with high moral and ethical behavior
- Experience with Web security (preferred)
- WebSockets for real-time messaging
The majority of work responsibilities are performed in a remote or onsite office setting, carrying out detailed work sitting at a desk/table and working on the computer. Office facilities are available for those in Minneapolis, MN or Austin, TX areas. Travel may be required from time to time.
EEO/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of Bright Health, our consumers, and the communities we serve. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We’re Making Healthcare Right. Together.
We are realizing a completely different healthcare experience where payors, providers, doctors, and patients can all feel connected, aligned and unified on the same team. By eradicating the frictions of competing needs, we are making it possible to give everyone more of what they want and deserve. We do this by:
Focusing on Consumers
We understand patient pain points, eliminating complexity while increasing transparency, for greater access and easier navigation.
Building on Alignment
We integrate and align individual incentives at all levels, from financing to optimization to delivery of care.
Powered by Technology
We employ our purpose built, integrated data platform to connect clinical, financial, and social data, to deliver exceptional outcomes.